This free and friendly series of meet-ups, spearheaded by Sunrise Mayor Michael J. Ryan in cooperation with Mayors from throughout Broward County, draws attention to the benefits of chess in both the academic environment and in our community.
Each Mayors' Chess Challenge provides an opportunity for players of all ages, novices and experts alike, to join in the fun with elected officials and community leaders. Instructors are on hand to help those new to the game.
The complete 2017-2018 schedule
is as follows:
Date and time for City of Hallandale Beach will be announced soon!
- City of Fort Lauderdale: Saturday, September 16, at 10:00 a.m. - Museum of Discovery and Science, 401 SW 2nd Street This date cancelled due to Hurricane Irma
- Town of Davie: Saturday, October 7, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Pine Island Multipurpose Center, 3801 South Pine Island Drive
- CITY OF SUNRISE: Saturday, October 14, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Sunrise Civic Center, 10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard
- City of Tamarac: Saturday, November 4, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Tamarac Community Center, 8601 West Commercial Boulevard
- City of Deerfield Beach: Saturday, November 18, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Hillsboro Technology Center, 50 Hillsboro Technology Drive
- City of Lauderhill: Saturday, December 2, at 9:30 a.m. - Veterans Park, 7600 NW 50th Street
- City of Weston: Saturday, December 9, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Weston Community Center, 20200 Saddle Club Road
- City of Coconut Creek: Saturday, December 16, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Coconut Creek Community Center, 1100 Lyons Road
- City of Dania Beach: Wednesday, December 20, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. - CW Thomas Park, 100 NW 8th Avenue
- City of Coral Springs: Saturday, January 13, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. - Coral Glades High School, 2700 Sportsplex Drive
- City of Parkland: Saturday, January 20, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Parkland Recreation and Enrichment Center, 10599 Trails End
- City of Cooper City: Saturday,February 17, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. - Pool & Tennis Center, 11600 Stonebridge Parkway
- City of Hollywood: Saturday, March 10, from 9:00 a.m. to noon - Fred Littman Multipurpose Center, 2030 Polk Street
- City of Oakland Park: Saturday, March 24, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Jaco Pastorius Park Community Center, 1098 NE 40th Court
- City of Wilton Manors: Saturday, April 14, from 10:00 a.m. to noon - Hagen Park Community Center, 2020 Wilton Drive
- City of Lauderdale Lakes: Thursday, April 26, from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. - Multipurpose Building, 4340 NW 36th Street
- City of Miramar: Saturday, May 5, from 9:00 a.m. to noon - Sunset Lakes Community Center, 2801 SW 186th Avenue
- City of Pembroke Pines: Saturday, May 19, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. - Club 19 at Pembroke Lakes Golf & Racquet Club, 10500 Taft Street
Players will receive a Mayors' Chess Challenge Passport
so they can log their participation over the course of the school year. Those with perfect attendance will receive a prize at the end of the season.
For more information, please contact the Sunrise Leisure Services Department: (954) 747-4600.