This free and friendly series of meet-ups, spearheaded by Sunrise Mayor Michael J. Ryan in cooperation with Mayors from throughout Broward County, draws attention to the benefits of chess in both the academic environment and in our community.
Each Mayors' Chess Challenge provides an opportunity for players of all ages, novices and experts alike, to join in the fun with elected officials and community leaders. Instructors are on hand to help those new to the game.
The complete 2016-2017 schedule is as follows:
- Davie: September 17, 2016 – 10:00 a.m. to noon, Pine Island Multipurpose Center, 3801 South Pine Island Road
- Weston: September 24, 2016 - 10:00 a.m. to noon, Weston Community Center, 20200 Saddle Club Road (inside Weston Regional Park)
- SUNRISE: OCTOBER 1, 2016 - 10:00 a.m. to noon, Sunrise Civic Center - Grand Ballroom, 10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard
- Tamarac: November 5, 2016 - 10:00 a.m. to noon, Tamarac Community Center, 8601 West Commercial Boulevard
- Coconut Creek: December 10, 2016 - 10:00 a.m. to noon, Coconut Creek Recreation Complex, 4455 Sol Press Boulevard
- Coral Springs: January 28, 2017 - 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Coral Glades High School - Cafeteria, 2700 Sportsplex Drive
- Parkland: February 4, 2017 - 10:00 a.m. to noon, Parkland Recreation and Enrichment Center, 10599 Trails End
- Wilton Manors: February 25, 2017 - 10:00 p.m. to noon, Hagen Park Community Center, 2020 Wilton Drive
- Hallandale Beach: March 11, 2017 - 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Hallandale Beach Cultural Community Center, 410 SE 3rd Street
- Lauderhill: March 18, 2017 - 10:00 a.m. to noon, Veterans Park Community Center, 7600 NW 50th Street
- Cooper City: March 25, 2017 - 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Pool & Tennis Center, 11600 Stonebridge Parkway
- Oakland Park: April 8, 2017 - 10:00 a.m. to noon, Jaco Pastorius Park Community Center, 1098 NE 40th Court
- Lauderdale Lakes: April 20, 2017 - 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., Lauderdale Lakes Multipurpose Building, 4340 NW 36th Street
- Fort Lauderdale: May 13, 2017 - 10:00 a.m. to noon, Riverland Park, 950 SW 27th Avenue
- Pembroke Pines: May 20, 2017 - 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Club 19 at Pembroke Lakes Golf & Racquet Club, 10500 Taft Street
Players will receive a Mayors' Chess Challenge Passport so they can log their participation over the course of the school year. Those with perfect attendance will receive a prize at the end of the season.
For more information, please contact the Sunrise Leisure Services Department: (954) 747-4600.