The Sunrise City Commission held an emergency meeting on Friday, September 15, and took unanimous action to authorize staff to collect hurricane debris in all City communities – including gated communities and communities with private roadways. This effort by the City Commission is intended to protect the health, safety, and welfare of Sunrise residents and to remove undue financial burdens from the residents of Sunrise. In order to be eligible, private communities are required to sign a Right-of-Entry agreement with the City. (This form will be available at www.sunrisefl.gov/irma beginning Monday, September 18.) Should a community determine the need to clear their site rapidly, they may do so; however, the City will not be able to obtain reimbursement for the community and the City will not be responsible for any costs associated with the debris removal or disposal fees.
Citywide storm debris collection will begin the week of September 17
and will continue for the foreseeable future. In order to facilitate prompt and thorough pick-up, residents must place their debris curbside, separated into the following piles:
- Leaves, logs, plants, tree branches (do not bag).
- Construction & demolition material – carpet, drywall, furniture, lumber, mattresses, fences
- Appliances – dishwashers, freezers, refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers, water heaters
- Electronics – computers, radios, stereos, televisions, other devices with a cord
- Household Hazardous Waste – cleaning supplies, batteries, lawn chemical, oils, oil-based paints, stains and pesticide
Items for collection must be directly related to Hurricane Irma. Contractor-generated materials will not be accepted. Sunrise residents must also follow these guidelines:
- Storm debris must be placed street-side within 6 feet of the curb.
- Storm debris must be easily accessible for collection. Do not block it with vehicles, or place it within three feet of any mailbox, basketball goal, fence, general landscaping, etc.
- Individual items may not be larger than 10 feet in length and 2 feet in diameter.
Please note that regular household trash and recyclables should be placed in their respective green and blue bins, and will be collected, along with bulk trash not related to the storm, by Republic Services.